March 21, 2009

Tabby Mountain


Tabby Mountain WMA (wildlife management area) northwest of Duchesne, Utah is over 40,000 acres where vehicles aren't allowed from December to May. This limits disturbance of big game on winter range. The area is fenced and locked, with only a few openings made for horses and riders to enter.
We last went there on December 1 (see Moonlight Ride), when we had quite an extended adventure and ended up returning to the truck with the dubious aid of a crescent moon.
Our trailhead today was at 6800 feet. We cantered about 5 miles along game trails and two tracks until we reached this spring. The water was still frozen in the center of the pool.
This cabin near another small spring is about to collapse. I gingerly stood on what was left of the porch while Mischief considered whether the structure offered any goodies for him.
At 8300 feet elevation, we ran into large patches of snow and saw a herd of 20-30 elk. They didn't hang around long enough to be photographed, but Steve and Boss were willing subjects.
Daisy didn't make much effort to track the elk since she was pretty tired already. Instead, she stretched out in the snow to cool off.

At various places along the ride, deer went bounding away from us. We saw a dozen or more, total. And a rabbit crossed right in front of Mischief's feet. The bunny quite craftily waited until Daisy was past so he could make a run for the dense brush. Daisy never saw him. She followed the bunny trail a short distance, but was quickly distracted by all the deer scent.
The scenery was great, the temperature was in the 60's, and the sun was out at least some of the time. It was easy to believe spring has sprung.
Good thing we went today, because tomorrow there's an 80% chance of snow!

We rode 12 miles with 1800 feet elevation gain and loss in 2 and a half hours. I think we're all feeling a little worked this evening.

15 comments:

  1. Love this set of pictures, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing the things that you do. My life is so unadventurous compared to your life! I love all the photos. Thanks for taking me into the mountains by horseback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey You Two, You must know that you live in an incredible area of the country. I wish there were more WMA's around... There is one not too far from here and we've only been there once. Didn't see much that day and the road was so bad --we really needed a jeep or 4-wheel drive.

    Glad you had a wonderful day. You photos are incredible.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daisy has about as good a life as a dog can have: "dog on" lucky if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beautiful ride into the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a wonderful day you had thank you for sharing with us folks that don't get to do things like that

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been stuck working at the computer for several days. Pictures like this make me want to get outside for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, it is so beautiful there. I haven't been on a horse in many years but it looks like so much fun and having 40,000 acres to traipse around on is heavenly. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yesterday was perfect weather for a ride. Looks like fun for everybody.

    I don't have crocuses yet, my picture was from two years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for taking us along on your ride. Your pictures are beautiful. It's nice that you can get somewhere and not be disturbed by motorized vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic ride. I enjoyed going along with you and I loved looking at your photographs. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe you are still getting snow! I'm so jealous of those big skies, could you send me a pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is what I want to spend my days when I and hubby retire. You are so blessed! Hope you have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous big skies! While I look forward to the warm spring air, there is something about her capriciousness that delights me. Once day 60; the next day 30. Just like a woman to keep you guessing, eh? :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin