March 7, 2009

Nine Banded Armadillo

As a boy growing up in north Louisiana, Steve caught a lot of armadillos by the tail. He wouldn't hurt them, just catch and release.

Here he is when we were newlyweds, still in Louisiana, showing off his armadillo prowess.
Now we know armadillos can carry leprosy on ther footpads. (Their low body temperature makes them susceptible.) If one of these critters happened to show up in Utah, it would be safe from Steve.
Other interesting armadillo facts (from Wikipedia):
They have 4 genetically identical young with each litter, which has made them useful in scientific research.
They are common roadkill because of their habit of jumping to fender height when startled.
They were hunted for meat during the Great Depression, and were referred to as the Hoover Hog (by those who blamed Herbert Hoover for the depression.)
They can dig holes in yards and gardens, and thus are considered pests.
Once found only in southern states, their range has extended as far north as Nebraska, and they've been occasionally seen in Illinois and Indiana.
For more camera critters, click here.

17 comments:

  1. You know i have only seen these as a purse and in photos, maybe one of these days i will see them for myself alive nice shot

    ReplyDelete
  2. We surely have them in my yard do we ever Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet someone somewhere is still making armadillo stew! I didn't know they carried leprosy. I just passed the Butterfly Award to some blogs on Mountains Rule! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some cool facts about Armdillos. I can't believe daddy didn't know about the leprosy. Daddy's hair looks awesome in this picture. And the armadillo is such a cute little guy. Thanks for the Lemonaide award. I guess I'll have to pass these on at some point, but the problem is I only know a few fellow bloggers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen one here, thank goodness, but I do remember seeing them when I lived in Louisiana!!!!

    My cousin in Texas and her hubby actually keep them.. I don't think I could do that, but they say they HAVE to because there are just so many and they do so much damage to their yard.

    Have a great week, Janie..
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. How interesting that some armadillos carry leprosy. It's amazing they are traveling northward. I wonder how many species are doing that. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen one before. They are pretty neat looking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not an animal I'm going to see here. Interesting write to and really cool image.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janie: I saw these guys in Texas and I would never try to pick them up with those sharp claws. Now you tell of more danger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the first time I've seen a photo of an armadillo: what a funny looking little creature.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that was such a seventies look, takes me back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow he was pretty brave! I have seen them with their babies in the wild but never touched one until the one I photoed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I've seen a live one in the zoo but I've never encountered a wild armadillo. Thanks for sharing all these interesting facts about the armadillo.

    Thanks for visiting my other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great facts about armadillos!! I never knew that they carried leprosy on their paws.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh! What a great photo! I have never seen one alive, but always wanted to. I'm just loving your posts and photos, and will have to visit your blog often to see what's new :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been around armadillos all my life and never knew all that interesting stuff about them!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks a lot softer than I imagines, Janie. Interesting facts: like four identical young. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin