March 3, 2009

Slickrock Ride and Robbers Roost - Day 2

The next morning, we decided to make one more foray in our search for Cowboy Cave.

We went back to the same canyon, then up the other side and around a slickrock hill (Navajo sandstone, I think).

Didn’t see anything but a few dents in sandstone that looked like they might be caves in a few thousand years. We did see a lot more of the burro trails, but still no actual burros. The scenery had Utah's deserts' wild, stark, beauty, though, and we had another fun, fast ride to and from the canyon on sandy roads and trails.
After returning to the trailer for a quick lunch, we drove to the vicinity of Robber’s Roost and took a walk down to the spring. This canyon was a hangout for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and other lesser known lawbreakers.
The area is a long, long way from civilization, even now, so it’s easy to imagine it as a hideaway.
Here’s a big cottonwood growing near the spring. No leaves yet, but I assume it's still alive.

This is Shootout Canyon, a quarter mile away.
Outlaws were cornered here by a posse, and many shots were fired. The outlaws did not fare well.
This fireplace was in a cabin that was built by a rancher in 1890 as a line cabin for cowboys. Off and on, the outlaws also stayed there.

It’s rumored that some cowboys were attempting to smoke out a nest of rats and accidentally burned the building down. The stone fireplace is all that remains. The good news is, the rats are gone...
We arrived back at camp just as the sun set, which was getting to be a pattern.
It's good to wear out the day, but maybe not so good to wear ourselves out. However, after a good night's sleep (in the gooseneck, not in motel 6), we were ready for more adventures.
To be continued...

14 comments:

  1. I was looking forward to your post, Janie. SO interesting. Sorry you didn't see the burros nor the cave. But the scenery is just gorgeous!!!! That cottonwood is incredible... It's too bad that old fireplace can't talk.. Bet it could tell you all a few great stories!!!!

    Thanks again for sharing your trip with us.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Utah scenery you showed us. I also like the history you gave us. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might sound really stupid, but to me the Wild West has always been old cowboy movies my parents used to watch and Ian McShane (Deadwood) sporting a dodgy moustache, but now it's a real place. And it definitely still looks wild!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this trail! I clicked on the first picture and found myself INSIDE your world. So beautiful! I could spend days there! Thanks for making the moment last - looking forward to part III!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janie: Your country is awsome and I really enjoyed your photos. Our world truly has beautiful places.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how the sculpted rocks and scrub plants provide a sense of grounding as the sky stretches into desert solitude on the still small voice of clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your trip is making me look forward to summer! I can't wait to get out and camp and hike. Your trip reports are very similar to how I write and post photos on my Mountains Rule blog. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific photos and countryside and stories. Thanks for sharing that incredible landscape. It inspires me to visit back out west -- and learning to ride horses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really neat to hang out where all of those cool outlaws used to hide!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your pictures. Sounds like such a fun adventure. Love the fireplace and some of the history behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
    I'm hoping to start my own site soon but I'm a little lost on everything.
    Would you recommend starting with a free platform like
    Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there
    that I'm completely confused .. Any tips? Thank you!

    my homepage: their web site

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your adventures by horse back.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin