June 2, 2011

Traveling Wild

Wild Mountain area's beauty lies in vast rolling hills, lonely trails, and amazing views.  Above, the stitched panorama shot shows the Green River Slopes on either side of the Green River Gorge (the deep cut is part of the well-known rafting destination, the Gates of Lodore).  The highest point on the horizon is the distant triangular mountain, Zenobia Peak, 9000 feet, located in a remote section of Dinosaur National Monument in Colorado.
The above Google Earth view shows our entire route in blue.  We traveled 18 miles and 4500 feet elevation gain and loss.  (There were a lot of ups and downs!)
At our turnaround point, we were near the edge of the Green River Gorge, with the 3000 foot deep Canyon of Lodore below us.
We crossed from Utah into Colorado on this ride.  See the sign "Entering Colorado, State Line." What, no welcome center?  No restrooms?  No free coffee or juice?  I feel cheated!

12 comments:

  1. I like the Google images tracking your route. Very funny about the border crossing. Personally I think that is the most lovely border crossing I have ever seen. "I can go in, I can go out. In, out. In, out."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisy doesn't look as if she was too impressed with the welcome to Colorado, either. Thanks for the Google Earth tracks of your ride -- it gives us an appreciation of the terrain you cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's some border crossing. Like the google earth views with routing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder who figured out exactly where the border is...or perhaps it's not exact but close enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a venture. I wonder who felt it necessary to go out and post a sign? They really do need to spruce the area up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved that last photo with Daisy about to disappear out of view. Thanks for adding the Google Earth view. Puts it all in perspective. What incredible scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, I'd like to see the gorge from the top. from the bottom it seems to rise forever. LOL on the border comment :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go on the most amazing rides.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa, that's quite a ride! I love your entrance into Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love following your rides, and google earth makes it even more exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed looking the pictures. They are magnificent! You are always on the go. I wish I and my family can do something like this in the future. WOW! no welcome center, no restroom and no free coffee? haha! thats too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. No welcoming committee either?? You got ripped off. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin