September 22, 2008

NEXT

I was fascinated by the genetic research intrigue from the very beginning of this book. Then I talked to Steve and found that many of the incidents that occurred in the fiction have actually occurred in real life.
Such as, genes are really being patented. This seems absurd. Genes belong to those of us who possess them as an integral part of our DNA, not to researchers who happen to obtain a sample of our blood or tissue. Also, as Chrichton points out, the possessiveness of patents can only serve to inhibit research and slow fighting diseases caused by these genes.
Also, several lawsuits have actually been filed, as happened in the work of fiction, against university hospitals that took a person’s cell material during treatment, and the genes were then patented and sold for millions.
I found the story, that at least begins with today’s facts, interesting and thought provoking, well worth the read.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it! I thought you would. Did you catch the scene I mentioned where Crichton writes a journalist who gave him a bad review into the book as a pedofile? What a weirdo. Another one I liked by him is called A Case of Need, about abortion. And I liked Airframe too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the book. I did enjoy it.
    I'd forgotten about the pedophile journalist who related to a real person. Did Crichton use the same name? Or was it just the description?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He changed the name. Here is an article about it:
    http://thinkprogress.org/2006/12/14/crichton-critic/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the article. That was awfully tacky of Crichton. Hard to believe he didn't get sued.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin