August 21, 2014

Utah Bear

Riding in Tabby Mountain Wildlife Management Area, we were surprised to see bear tracks.  
Bear tracks, rear paws

Bear tracks, front paw
From the size, this was a mature black bear, maybe 5-6 feet long.
Bear trail on left side of photo
The bear followed the same sandy road we traveled.  The line of tracks is on the left side of the photo.
Boss on high alert
Boss hates bears.  When he gets the scent in his nose, he gets hyper alert and nervous.  In this photo, he was testing the air, but he only got really nervous later, when we must have passed close to the bear.  When Boss smells bear up close, he inhales, then blows out in a loud snort.  Only bear or sheep get this reaction from him.  Don't ask me why sheep fall into the same category as bear in his mind.  Fortunately, we did not actually see the bear.  I'm afraid Boss would have done a 180 and left me in the dirt!
On the way home, the sky darkened with storm clouds.  We managed to reach the trailer before more than a few raindrops fell.

17 comments:

  1. Those bear tracks are fascinating Janie. Boss is like a good watchdog for bear, and sheep :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I think Boss is smart horse. I've only seen bears in the wild, outside of Yellowstone and nearby, twice in my life. And that is plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I think Boss is smart horse. I've only seen bears in the wild, outside of Yellowstone and nearby, twice in my life. And that is plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I think Boss is smart horse. I've only seen bears in the wild, outside of Yellowstone and nearby, twice in my life. And that is plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those are big tracks! I'm glad Boss didn't see the bear and that you got back to the trailer before the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice set of tracks. That Boss is a smart horse. And you both too to get back before the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you didn't see anything more of the bear than his tracks, and I'm sure Boss was glad you didn't get any closer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seeing those bear tracks would excite my hubby - he'd want to see the bear. Me, I could do without any close encounters! Those are definitely big paws! Glad that Boss didn't see it.

    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd be very nervous. Not of the bear but of being tossed by a spooked horse. I really like the picture of Steve and the cutthroat in the Lamar. The best trout fishing I ever had was there and also the nearby Slough Creek....:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting tracks on the trail. And who would have thought the same reaction to bear and sheep?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janie, I've never seen such a perfect set of tracks. Any scat? I'm always looking for tracks in muddy spots, but when I find them, they are often not well-preserved like these. May I borrow Boss?

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting that you see bear tracks. Good the bear did not see you - could have been a ferocious grizzly :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's good that Boss alerts you that bears are in the area.

    I have seen two black bears this year. I think the bear population north of Toronto must be growing. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well Janie... For your sake, I'm glad that you didn't SEE the bear... Boss may have taken off and left you totally behind.... Interesting that he has picked out bear and sheep scent.....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. How funny that Boss has that reaction. I'm glad the bear kept his/her distance so you didn't end up in the dirt. We have a lot of bears in our area….it's the weirdest thing to see them on the side of the road!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you didn't meet that bear! Maybe Boss just doesn't like the smell of sheep, they smell pretty bad.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's funny that Boss has the same reaction to sheep as to bear! But then some horses FREAK OUT when they see miniature burros, so...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin